Project duration: 05/2005 – 10/2006
Client: Counties of Međimurje, Istria, Koprivnica-Križevci, Krapina-Zagorje, Varaždin and Zagreb of the Republic of Croatia
Origin of Funding: Fund for Regional Development of the Republic of Croatia and Counties
Partner: Local authorities
To conceptualize, for the first time in these counties, by way of a participatory approach, an integral and overall development plan for each of the mentioned counties which was first widely discussed, followed by the determining of the county development vision, strategic objectives, priorities and measures, on the basis of which a long-term and acceptable framework for specific development projects was created.Other Objectives
- To establish and build partnership of all key development actors/stakeholders from the private and public sector as well as civil society. By including all these actors, the aim was to raise awareness and knowledge among them related to the importance of such a stressed participatory approach in the process of elaboration and implementation of the ROPs – as well as to include them in a methodologically systematic way in the very process of their elaboration.
- Learning, i.e. capacity building for managing development, including raising of capabilities for analysing the situation and development trends of the counties, for strategic development and defining of priorities. This process is to be followed in the implementation phase of the ROP-s, i.e. county development strategies.
- To create for the first time an integral and transparent data base related to most relevant regional development projects/plans/initiatives in the related counties.
The Main Elements of the Elaborated ROPs
- Basic analysis (analysis of current situation and trends, problems and needs of the counties
- SWOT analysis (analyses of strengths, weaknesses, possibilities and threats)
- Strategic goals and priorities (long-term development goals of the counties)
- Data bases of development projects (categorized according to characteristics)
- Implementation Plan (institutions, mechanisms, resources)
Type of Services Provided
- Management of the overall project
- Providing of consultations and technical assistance to stakeholders throughout the whole project (elaboration of the ROPs)
- Capacity building of local authorities
- Training in techniques and methods for project elaboration
- Building of knowledge and skills in planning and programming of sustainable regional/local development
- Support in elaboration of project data bases and proposals for concrete projects